Friday, July 10, 2015

'It's 'easy' for Christians to help the poor - but hard to worship together' writes Kate Shellnutt

"Privileged and middle-class, I've gone through some awkward moments as churches welcomed low-income friends and neighbors.

My sister's wallet and iPhone were stolen by a homeless visitor at a Christmas Eve service. I hesitated to voice prayer requests of my own after hearing from guys in my small group desperately praying they'd get a state ID so they'd be eligible for work.

I stopped bringing up college and my wedding in conversations with some church friends when I realized that coming from a poorer background, they'd never had those experiences."

Have you ever had this sensation, of trying to include very poor persons in your worship experience?

Why, when God deals with all of us on an equal basis, is it so hard to cross economic lines?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment