Friday, January 23, 2015

How much work goes into a Bible Translation?

Bible Translation into another language isn't for sissies!

One of my friends in South East Asia writes: "One of the main projects that I have worked on has been trying to get  my father's New Testament in Lahu published.  I now have it ready to print, on the computer and proof read several times. 

"As a boy back in China after World War II  I often sat as my Dad with his team wrestled with the best way to translate some of the verses into Lahu.  I actually learned some of my Lahu in that way as they often spent half an hour discussing a single verse. 

"My dad always had at least three other men with him and my dad not only looked at the King James and a literal Greek translation, but they compared it to Wa, Shan, Burmese and Chinese.  The project was started in World War II and finished in 1955." 

Now, in 2014 and going into 2015, some 60 years later, the New Testament with the correct markings for the language is about to be published - 2000 copies are expected to be printed.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment